Winterize Your Home & Business
Dec 18, 2013
Winter brings with it a host of challenges for owners of homes and businesses; even in SoCal, this winter has brought frost on the roofs and temperatures dipping into the 30s.
How can you keep your home and office safe this winter? Start with these tips:
• Have boilers, furnaces, heaters, chimneys, and flues serviced
• Check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors (if you don’t have detectors installed—install them!)
• Don’t set the indoor temperature lower than 55°F
• Perform freeze protection inspections on plumbing and familiarize yourself with shutdown procedures
• Repair any roof damage before the rainy/ snowy season is underway; damage due to water infiltration can be costly and even interrupt your business
• Be sure all roof drains and gutters are clear of an impediments, allowing for runoff
• Keep an eye on vacant or unoccupied areas of the building; an unobserved leak can wreak incredible damage
• Don’t use the furnace or boiler room to store boxes or papers.
Of course, the best way to ensure your home or place of business suffers no winter-related damage is to schedule regular checks of roofs, exterior walls, windows and doors, heaters and furnaces, and plumbing. That's a great New Year's resolution to make for a safe and secure 2014!
There are no comments yet.