Spring has sprung! Flowers are blooming, the weather is warming, and all across the country, homeowners are attacking their spring cleaning chores.
They’re called “chores” for a reason: maintenance tasks aren’t exactly fun! But they’re worth your time and energy to help evade more expensive repairs that could become necessary if you don’t take care of minor repairs and upkeep now.
Here’s a checklist of tasks to help you get started:
- Check balconies and for loose boards or railings, as well as any rot.
- Check the ground level perimeter of your home, and ensure that mulch and soil aren’t in contact with your home’s siding. Also check for damaged stucco or siding, and make any necessary repairs.
- Check your home’s exterior paint. Is it still in good enough condition to protect the structure against the effects of weather—or is it time for a fresh coat?
- Check for damage to your shingles, including mildew and algae. (But don’t put yourself at risk! If it’s too difficult for you to inspect the roof yourself, hire a professional inspector.)
- Check gutters and downspouts for buildup of dirt and dead leaves.
- Check your landscaping. Trim tree branches that are too close to your home or to utility wires, and remove any dead plants.
- Check all air filters and exhaust fan outlets and screens. Clean and replace as necessary.
- Check the dryer exhaust hose and vent as well as your refrigerator’s and freezer’s coils. Remove lint, vacuum away dust, and clean as necessary.
- Check for leaks: investigate window and door sills, ceilings, the attic, and the basement or crawlspace.
- Check for signs of rodents, roaches, termites, and other pests.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of niche businesses, such as craft breweries, that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Redlands and Newport Beach, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.