It’s the perfect time of year to take your boat out on the water—and after a couple months of quarantine, water recreation has never seemed so delightful!
That being said, boaters need to focus on safety now more than ever… and that means social distancing, sanitizing, and preparing for a lack of amenities.
- Limit the people aboard your boat to people in your immediate household.
- Stay at least six feet away from other people who do not live in your house.
- Maintain safe distance at the fuel dock and while loading up at the marina.
- Wash hands frequently or use hand sanitizer after actions like touching a marina gate or fuel pump.
- Don’t raft up to other boaters or pull up onto a beach next to someone else.
- Go directly from your house to the boat, and directly back to your house upon your return, so you don’t have unnecessary contact with anyone.
- Pack food, water, and other items you may need as restaurants and marina stores may not be open.
- Don’t go boating if someone in your household is sick.
And don’t forget to follow standard boating safety tips.
- File a float plan. Make sure a loved one or friend knows the details of your trip in the event of an emergency.
- Make sure you and all your passengers wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket when you’re on the water.
- Carry all required boating safety equipment such as flares, navigation light, a horn or whistle, a first aid kit.
- Be sure to have at least two communication devices that work when wet, such as satellite phones, emergency position indicating radio beacons (EPIRB), VHF radios, or personal locator beacons (PLB). Cell phones are not reliable in an emergency situation.
- Don’t drink and boat.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of niche businesses, such as craft breweries, that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Redlands and Newport Beach, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.