We all rely on our vehicles. They take us where we need to go—and where we want to go. They’re a way many of us express our personalities. And they can be a key part of our lifestyle.
So it’s obvious that none of us would want to do anything to put our precious vehicles at risk of theft. But it’s equally obvious that many of us do exactly that—without even realizing it! So take a look at these six simple ways to get your car stolen… and start changing your habits so you can protect your car, instead of putting it at risk.
- When you’re not driving it, make sure your keys are removed from your car. That means at the gas station, you take your keys with you when you go inside to pay. That also means not storing an extra set of keys inside your car. You want to make it tougher for thieves to steal your car, not easier!
- Along those same lines: if your car is running, you should be behind the wheel. If you need to warm up your car before you hit the road, make sure you’re inside it. If you need to drop off some mail or make a quick stop at the ATM, be sure to turn your car off and take the keys with you.
- Hide your purchases or valuable possessions. It’s a helpful hint people may think of during the holidays, when we hide the gifts we’re buying so opportunistic thieves won’t break into the vehicle to swipe them. But this is a great tip to follow all year long. How many times have you left your smartphone lying on the passenger seat because you were just dashing into the mini mart or the bank for a quick errand?
- Each vehicle has a unique VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). Want to make your vehicle unappealing to thieves? Consider having the VIN etched onto each window. Any self-respecting thief would understand how expensive it would be to replace each piece of glass—and move on to another target.
- Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle. Not only will this make it a turnoff to would-be thieves, it could also get you a discount on your auto insurance.
- Are you ready for the simplest anti-theft tip of all? Secure your vehicle when you’re not in it. Lock the doors, put up the windows, make sure the sunroof is closed.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of businesses that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With offices in California and Indiana, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.