January is Get Organized Month—and there’s no better way to get organized in case of a disaster than making a home inventory.
Of course, we also hope that you practice safety measures that will protect your home from fire, flood, robbery, or other incidents! But if something does go wrong, a room-by-room inventory of your house will allow you to easily file a detailed and precise insurance claim.
We know it may not sound like the most fun wintertime activity. Luckily, there are a number of tools to help you to complete an accurate and thorough inventory more swiftly than you might anticipate.
- The State Farm HomeIndex is a free online tool that combines the home inventory list with the visual record, all in one place. Use it on a computer, smartphone, or tablet.
- Download an iPhone or Android home inventory app from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- The Insurance Information Institute offers free home inventory software. Click here to learn more—or click here to download the mobile app for iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Make a movie. Film a walking tour of each room in your home, complete with lingering shots on possessions including furniture, electronics, jewelry, etc. Add an audio description to the video as you film each item.
No matter which way you choose to complete your home inventory, remember these important tips:
- As you remodel, renovate, and upgrade your home and furnishings, update your home inventory—and increase your insurance coverage as needed.
- Store your home inventory in a safe place away from your home.
Beall Financial and Insurance Services has been working with business-owners for more than 25 years to help them protect their most important assets, and their companies’ future. If you have questions about insurance coverage for your business, contact us.