The holiday season is almost upon us!
It’s just about time for cookies and eggnog, for parties and gift exchanges, for goodwill toward men—and for the holiday blues.
Pressure to create the perfect holiday environment, to spend beyond one’s means to get the perfect gift for everyone, to give the impression that everything is perfect and jolliness reigns supreme, can become overwhelming. From the flurry of pre-Thanksgiving holiday decorating to hosting Thanksgiving dinner, from the craze of Christmas crowds to hectic calendars—the holidays can be a source of mounting stress, and an opportunity for difficult relationships to take center stage.
And it just so happens that stress and relationship issues account for 47 percent of employee absences.
So how can you beat the holiday blues—and help your workers to do the same?
These tips are a great place to start. Make use of them yourself, and share freely with your staff to help everyone focus on holiday fun, good health, and productivity.
- Be aware of your stress level. What causes your stress level to rise? What can you do to manage that stressor?
- How do you deal with stress? If your go-to is an unhealthy habit, like smoking, drinking, or snacking, figure out a different, healthier way you can ease your stress. You might try breathing exercises, visualization, or going for a walk instead.
- Write down all the tasks you need to do. This will reduce your anxiety about forgetting something, make your to-dos seem more management, and help you prioritize.
- Focus on staying healthy. Get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water, keep up your exercise regimen, and eat healthy food. All these things will make you feel better physically and help you manage your stress levels.
- Ask for help if you feel overwhelmed by the tasks you need to do. Be aware of the services available to you through work, including work/ life balance programs and counseling.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of niche businesses, such as craft breweries, that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Redlands and Newport Beach, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.