Most of us don’t think about it too often… but the fact is, our homes are filled with dangerous chemicals.
If that startles you, just take a minute to think about the cleaners, insecticides, herbicides, and solvents you use for various purposes inside your home and out. And then consider that the number one cause of unintentional death is poisoning.
So ask yourself: how familiar are you with hazardous chemical safety practices? How many do you implement around the house?
Fortunately, it is fairly simple to implement safety practices that will prevent injury due to home chemicals.
Hazardous Chemical Safety Practices
- Store chemicals safely and securely: in their original containers, and in locations where those containers (and the labels upon them) will not deteriorate.
- Never store chemical compounds near food.
- Prior to using a potentially hazardous chemical, read the safety warnings on the label. Most importantly, follow them!
- Have gloves, goggles, and breathing masks on hand in case you need them when using various household chemicals.
- When using household chemicals, work in a ventilated area.
- Thoroughly wash your hands, and any other part of your body that came into contact with the chemical, after using it.
- Never leave a chemical compound unattended. If you must pause in the middle of a task while using one, take the chemical with you when you leave.
- Ensure that children cannot reach any chemical compound.
- Different types of chemical compounds must be disposed of differently. If you are unsure of the proper procedure, contact your local waste disposal facility.
Chemicals are a part of every household, and they play an important role. Making sure you know how to handle—and dispose of—hazardous chemicals properly will keep you, as well as everyone who enters your home, safe.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of niche businesses, such as craft breweries, that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Redlands and Newport Beach, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.