A remodel can be a great investment, adding value to your home. But that also means that the cost to replace your home, should it be destroyed, would be greater—and you’ll need to increase your homeowners insurance.
On the other hand, some upgrades may trigger lower premiums—a savings you may not even realize you have at your fingertips.
How do you know if it’s time for a remodel? An architect or home designer can advise you about that. But once you’ve made the decision to tear down walls, build that addition, or overhaul the kitchen, give us a call. We’ll help ensure that your project is covered while you’re under construction—and help you decide exactly how much homeowners insurance you need to cover your newly renovated home.
In the meantime, here are some points to consider as you prepare for home renovation projects.
- Thinking of adding on a room? Give us a call before the project starts, so we can ensure it will be covered if it’s destroyed before it’s completed. If your add-on is already finished, remember that it’s going to add value to your home—and that may require an increase in your insurance coverage.
- A new roof is a big expense—but it can also trigger big savings, cutting your insurance premiums by as much as 10 to 20 percent. Be sure to get documentation from your contractor proving that your new roof is up to the strictest code.
- Putting in a pool? You may want to increase your liability coverage to cover medical costs for anyone injured in the pool—and legal expenses, if they sue you—and increase your homeowners coverage to compensate for the value of the pool.
- If you’re having electrical or plumbing work done, those upgrades may land you with a lower insurance premium than before.
- Overhauling your bathroom or kitchen? Be sure that your insurance policy provides coverage enough to rebuild the remodeled room if a disaster strikes.
To make a long story short: if you’re considering upgrading or remodeling your home, give us a call while you’re planning the project—and be sure to contact us after it’s finished. We’ll work with you to make sure your dream home has ample protection.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of businesses that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With offices in California and Indiana, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.