How familiar are you with hazardous chemical safety practices? How many do you implement around the house?
It may be a surprising question, but the fact is that the chemicals you have around the house—solvents, cleaners, products you use in the yard and the garage—can lead to the number one cause of unintentional death: poisoning.
Fortunately, it is quite simple to implement safety practices that will prevent injury due to home chemicals.
Hazardous Chemical Safety Practices
- Store chemicals safely and securely: in their original containers, and in locations where those containers (and the labels upon them) will not deteriorate.
- Never store chemical compounds near food.
- Prior to using a potentially hazardous chemical, read the safety warnings on the label—and ensure that you follow them.
- Have gloves, goggles, and breathing masks on hand in case their use is called for when using various household chemicals.
- When using household chemicals, work in a ventilated area.
- Thoroughly wash your hands, and any other part of your body that came into contact with the chemical, after using it.
- Never leave a chemical compound unattended. If you are interrupted in the middle of using one, take it with you when you leave.
- Ensure that all chemical compounds are out of reach of children.
- Different types of chemical compounds must be disposed of differently. If you are unsure how to properly dispose of a car battery, house paint, cleaners, pesticides, or other chemical compounds, contact your local waste disposal facility.
Chemicals are a part of every household, and they play an important role. Making sure you know how to handle—and dispose of—hazardous chemicals properly will keep you, as well as everyone who enters your home, safe.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of businesses that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With offices in California and Indiana, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.