If you think Halloween is one of the funnest times of the year … we’re right there with you! But as you’re decorating with spooky creatures and flashing lights, preparing for trick-or-treaters, and getting into the spirit of the season, it’s important to keep in mind simple tips to protect your home – and yourself.
- Make sure your walkway and entrance are well lit – and there are no tripping hazards (branches, extension cords, acorns, and so on). The last thing you want is for a trick-or-treater – or an upset parent – to trip while walking up to your front door. That could ultimately lead to a lawsuit – and a claim on your general liability insurance.
- Keep your pets safe – and secured. A constant cacophony of doorbell rings or a stream of visitors to your front door could overexcite your pets … and potentially lead to an unhappy interaction with a trick-or-treater (and alakazam: there’s another potential claim on your liability policy!). Install a baby gate to keep them from the front door or place them in a different room until the witching hour has passed.
- Keep your vehicle secured, too! It’s a great idea to park in the garage on Halloween nights. Not only does it prevent your car from becoming a vandal’s target, it provides a clear driveway for trick-or-treaters to traipse across.
- Check your smoke detectors and test your fire extinguisher. Even if you wisely use battery-operated candles inside your jack-o-lanterns … your neighbors may not.
- Make sure your security system is good to go – including any motion-sensor lights. If the vandals come out to play after the trick-or-treaters have gone home, you want to be sure you have ever tool in your arsenal ready to deter them from attacking your property. Make sure the gates to the back of your property are locked, too.
- This is a great time of year to check with your insurance agent to make sure you have the right protection in place. If you’ve got questions, we can help!
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of businesses that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Newport Beach and Redlands, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.