The holidays are just around the corner! That means special foods, visits with loved ones, gifts and treats – and increased safety risks.
Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires with more than three times the daily average for such incidents. Christmas Day and Christmas Eve ranked second and third, with both having nearly twice the daily average.
On Thanksgiving day alone, an estimated 1,160 home cooking fires were reported to U.S fire departments in 2021, reflecting a 297% increase over the daily average.
Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in cooking fires and fire deaths.
Cooking causes more than half (53%) of all reported home fires and nearly nearly 40% of home fire injuries, and it is a leading cause of home fire deaths.
On Thanksgiving day alone, an estimated 1,160 home cooking fires were reported to U.S fire departments in 2021, reflecting a 297 percent increase over the daily average.*
Preparing a holiday meal can be hectic, complicated, and stressful – so we’d like to offer these tips to help you keep your cool … and keep your home and loved ones safe.
- Never leave food cooking on the stovetop unattended.
- Never leave your home while your turkey (or anything else!) is cooking in the oven.
- Keep baking soda handy to quickly put out a fire.
- Make your kitchen as child-friendly as possible. Tell children they must stay a certain distance away from the stove (show them how far 3 feet away is). Keep pan handles, knives, matches, , and electric cords out of children’s reach.
- Keep flammable objects – like oven mitts, wooden utensils, food wrappers, and towels – at least three feet away from the cooking area.
- Avoid long sleeves and hanging fabrics that can come in contact with a heat source.
- Always cook with a lid beside your pan. If there’s a fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Do not remove the cover because the fire could start again. Let the pan cool for a long time.
- Sometime before the holidays, test your smoke alarms to ensure they’re working properly.
- Do not use a turkey fryer that uses oil. They are the cause of approximately 5 deaths, 50 injuries, and the destruction of 900 homes and more than $15 million in property damage every year.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of businesses that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Newport Beach and Redlands, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.
* Source: National Fire Protection Association