Spring has sprung and the hills are alive with beautiful flowers.
In other words, it’s the most miserable time of the year for those of us with seasonal allergies.
As trees, flowers, and grasses release pollen to fertilize other plants, they start to cause problems for people with a pollen allergy. As they inhale pollens (which can travel from far afield), the immune system kicks in. Viewing the pollen as a threat, the immune system releases antibodies to attack it—which in turn leads to the release of histamines into the blood. That’s what triggers the runny nose, itchy eyes, and other symptoms people with springtime allergies know all too well.
So what can you do to beat those springtime allergy blues?
- Limit your time outdoors. That doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy gorgeous spring weather! But be smart about it. Try to stay indoors on windy days and during early morning hours, when pollen counts are highest. (You can even download a pollen count app on your phone to help track the times when it would be best to stay indoors.)
- Use the right equipment to reduce your pollen exposure. For instance, wear sunglasses to help prevent pollens from getting into your eyes. Planning a big yard project? A filter mask can be a big help.
- If you have to be outside when the pollen count is high, change your clothes, take a shower, and wash your hair when you get back inside.
- Consult your healthcare provider to inquire about medications that could help you manage symptoms. Considering consulting an allergist.
- Consider nasal irrigation. A study of 211 patients from the University of California, San Diego Nasal Dysfunction Clinic found that participants experienced relief from 23 out of 30 nasal symptoms after using nasal irrigation two times each day for 3 to 6 weeks.
- Prevent allergens from getting inside your home. Keep your doors and windows closed, and use allergy filters on your air conditioner.
We hope these tips will help you get the most out of your springtime—and prevent your allergies from getting the most out of you!
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of niche businesses, such as craft breweries, that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With California offices in Redlands and Newport Beach, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.