Summer is here! That means it’s time for barbecues, swim parties, and road trips!
How can you get the most out of the season -- safely? These tips will help!
- Cook food thoroughly. Steaks, chops and roasts (beef, pork or lamb) should have a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit before being removed from the heat source. Ground meats need to be at 160 degrees and poultry at 165.
- Keep hot food hot and cold food cold. You can keep cooked meats warm by placing them to the side of the grill rack, in a warm oven or in a chafing dish. Place dishes holding cold foods on ice.
- Do not use gasoline or other flammable liquids to light a charcoal fire. Use only lighter fluid designed by grilling (and never add more lighter fluid once the fire has started).
- Do not cover or store your grill until it has completely cooled down.
- Keep an eye on children when they are in or near the pool or spa.
- Install pool and gate alarms to alert you when children go near the pool.
- Perform regular checks on your pool cover to ensure it is in good working order.
- Be sure that children and adults who use your pool understand basic water safety:
- Don’t swim alone.
- Don’t eat or chew gum while swimming.
- Know where lifesaving equipment is and how to use it.
- Don’t run near the pool, where slick tiles can make it easy to slip and fall.
- Never leave a pet or child in a locked car—and don’t stay in a parked car yourself, or any other hot, enclosed space. .
- Cover up. We’re talking wide-brimmed hats, long-sleeved shirts, and pants that can protect you from the sun’s rays.
- Drink up! Water and other fluids (aside from caffeinated, sugary, or alcoholic beverages) are vital in the heat.
- During work or play, take regular breaks in cool, shady areas.
- Use sunscreen with sun protective factor (SPF) 15 or higher, and both UVA and UVB. Make sure it’s not expired before you apply it! And remember to re-apply if stay out in the sun for more than two hours, and after you swim or do things that make you sweat.
For more than 25 years, Beall Financial and Insurance Services, Inc., has been helping corporations and individuals protect their most important assets. The agency’s client base covers a spectrum of businesses that require specialized insurance packages and knowledge. With offices in California and Indiana, Beall Financial and Insurance Services serves clients nationwide.